Mary Clark and Danny's wedding was a blending of families, traditions, and cultures. I was ecstatic to shoot their wedding and see what kind of Costa Rican touches were incorporated!
During the planning period Danny told me that a lot of his family would be flying in because they could NOT miss his wedding. Even his grandparents were up for the trip to Memphis. They tried to prepare me, that there would be a language barrier, they hired an interpreter for the weekend... But what I found photographing their families was that a smile means the same thing in every language. A smile and some hand gestures will go a long way in communicating and there were TONS of smiles present on October 28th.
They planned a traditional church wedding at St. Mary's Cathedral downtown. The church is beautiful inside and the lighting was so elegant and uplifting. Mary Clark was beautiful in her long veil, lace dress, and carrying a cascading bouquet with orchids woven into it (the national flower of Costa Rica!). Her flowers were so unique.
They went non-traditional with a first look however, and I'm so glad they decided that. Danny's reaction was priceless, so sweet, and so raw. He couldn't stop telling Mary Clark "whoa! whoa! wow!" every time she turned or showed him a part of her dress. Talk about smiles and what they communicate; neither could stop grinning.
After the packed wedding ceremony, all of the friends, family, and coworkers headed to the Junior League House on Central Ave. The atmosphere was so warm and inviting with candle light, decorated mantles, round table nestled together, and string lights across the patio. The cake table was really an attention grabber though! The entire cake sat on a glass top with a bed of orchids underneath. Kacie Cooper and Kipp's Cakes really outdid it and I've never seen a table so ornate and full of texture. Danny's sisters couldn't get over it either.
The guests helped themselves to a build your own pasta bar, tenderloin sliders, and tons of grilled vegetable. Of course for dessert there was the amazing wedding cake, a chocolate groom's cake, and popsicles! One last Costa Rican tradition before Danny and Mary Clark exited was to serve popsicles and play a specific Spanish song. It really had everyone dancing out the door for the bubble send off.
Details to Note:
- Danny's best man was his dad. Mary Clark's made of honor was her little sister.
- Orchids everywhere and the relevance they have to Costa Rica.
- Traditional and classic Southern wedding vibes.
- Silver trays, candle light, and cozy tables made everyone feel like family.
- Parts of the wedding ceremony were in English and Spanish. They switched back and forth so that both families could participate.
Vendors for this wedding:
- Church- St. Mary's Cathedral
- Reception Venue- Junior League of Memphis
- Flowers- Kacie Cooper
- Cake- Kipp's Cakes
- DJ- Deep Blu
- Hair- Kristina Lyles
- Makeup- Jenny Williams
- Catering- Jincy's Catering
- Wedding Dress- Barefoot Bride
- Bridesmaids' Dresses- Dillard's
- Jewelry- Antique and Blue Nile
- Tuxes- Men's Warehouse
- Invitations- Stovall
- Wedding Planner- Virginia Curry
- Rentals- Mahaffey
- Interpreter- Silvia Merediz
- PhotoBooth- PicMe Photo Booth